How to Become a Christian
Becoming a Christian isn't joining a religion, it's a personal relationship with the living God through His son, Jesus Christ.
You need to know these basic facts from the Bible:
- 1. God loves you. (John 3:16)
- Because of God's love for all persons, He desires that you have a relationship with Him.
- 2. You are a sinner. (Romans 3:10)
- All persons are sinners in that they disobey God.
- 3. Sin separates you from God. (Romans 3:23)
- Sin forms a barrier that prevents you from entering into a relationship with God.
- 4. You can't save yourself. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- You can't earn God's salvation.
- 5. God sent His Son, Jesus, to remove the sin barrier. (Romans 5:8)
- Jesus died for your sins. God did for you in Jesus Christ what you couldn't do for yourself.
- 6. You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. (Romans 10:9-10)
- Faith is trusting in what Jesus has done for you. Faith involves repentance for sin and willingness to turn away from sin.
- 7. Through prayer you can trust in Jesus Christ.
- Admit to God that you are a sinner. Express sorrow for your sinfulness. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Invite Jesus into your life as Savior and Lord. Thank Him for entering your life. Commit yourself to live for Him.
Accepting Christ is the beginning. Be obedient by following Christ in baptism and uniting with a church.